Just a phase


So from Sailing to MTB'ing to Surfski'ing. Well I always MTB'ed and still do, but the bigger change was probably from Sailboat to Surfski. Where did it start?



I remember, in my varsity days, that I started to see these long kayaks kind of things floating pass on the roof rack while driving and always wondered what it was.  It always looked like the people was off on an adventure.  Later I found out you call it a SURFSKI.

I went on the internet (then it was still dial-up) and started searching on Yahoo (was still big back then).  I finally came across an article from a SA magazine on Surfski'ing and decided I need to try this thing called SURFSKI.  I can still recall that I fancied a Hammerhead ski.

I called my dad on the phone, all excited, and told him all about surfski and that this is a sport I am thinking of getting into.  His words:  "It will only be a phase like rollerblades and pass soon.  You will just waist money"  

So I started sailing instead, but every time a surfski floated by on a roof rack I got an itch.  Finally after more that a decade I finally started to surfski AND guess what,  I bought a hammerhead.


0 comments: